January 9 at 10:05am
25 Cities San Diego preparing North County launch
In San Diego’s North County region, the 25 Cities San Diego initiative is coordinated by the Alliance for Regional Solutions, a collaborative that includes the partnership of over 30 community organizations. Interfaith Community Services leads on-the-ground efforts to establish a coordinated path to ending the cycle of homelessness in North County. Key public partners in this initiative also include the County of San Diego, as well as all nine North County municipalities.
Launching in January 2015, 25 Cities San Diego will implement a Coordinated Assessment and Housing Placement system in the North County that will transition homeless veterans and chronically homeless individuals off the streets and into permanent housing, and connect the homeless with individualized support services.
25 Cities San Diego Goals in North County
25 Cities San Diego’s efforts in North County will initially work to end homeless within the North County Inland region, and will then expand throughout the greater North County area. Goals include:
- Establish and utilize a Coordinated Assessment and Housing Placement System
- Setting a path to end veteran and chronic homelessness
Additional goals to house and connect homeless veterans and chronically homeless individuals in North County will be determined by the 25 Cities San Diego Design Team, and presented to the public on January 15, 2015.
How Can You Help?
Community support is critical to ending homelessness in North County. There are three ways to help:
- Donate: Provide a donation to support move-in costs for hard-working homeless individuals who have an income, but can’t afford the initial expense of a security deposit and first-month’s rent
- Create: Welcome Home Kits help the homeless get started in their new home. Any empty apartment is not a home. Items needed include furniture, cookware, appliances, bedding and bath supplies.
- Lease: Landlords can commit to breaking the cycle of homeless by renting available market-rate apartments to formerly homeless individuals and families. Apartments and houses are needed throughout North County.
To learn more about the 25 Cities San Diego, consider attending the 25 Cities San Diego North County Launch on Wednesday, January 14, 2015. For event information and more details on how you can support and donate to 25 Cities San Diego’s work in North County, call Greg Anglea at 760-489-6380 or visit www.interfaithservcies.org.
About 25 Cities San Diego
25 Cities San Diego is the local arm of a national initiative to end veteran and chronic homelessness initiated and funded by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and supported by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness. 25 Cities San Diego’s North County initiative will apply lessons learned from the recent efforts to end homelessness in the Downtown region. 25 Cities San Diego’s downtown initiative successfully moved 88 homeless veterans and chronically homeless individuals off the streets and into housing within the first 100 days of the program.